Oops. I do apologise for the rather lengthy absence, rooted in my terrible talent for procrastination…
It has been quite the year since my last blog post. I’m not entirely sure what happened to blogging along the way – there were times when I just didn’t feel like sharing what was going on in my head, and other times where procrastinator supreme “I’ll write a post next whenever” prevailed. But now life has evened out a bit, and I want to get back to my original reasons for starting thins in the first place – revelling in the small things!
A debrief of the last 12 months would have to include the following highlights:
- I survived two months travelling solo in the South Pacific – more about that here!
- I graduated! (Still convinced they’re going to decide that was a clerical error one day…)
- We moved across the country and managed to navigate the traps of house-hunting; our well developed damp-sensors once again proving invaluable!
- I started my first job (and have thus far survived!)
- My little (6ft) brother has finally found his calling and has been given the opportunity to go follow his dreams in September – super proud!
- We ticked a few places off our travel bucket list.
- And finally, and most excitingly…
- My aforementioned other-half asked me a very important question, to which the answer was a very slightly hysterical YES; we are now enjoying bumbling through the world of wedding planning together!
As I said, quite the year! I will be blogging a bit about my travels, and a few important bits and pieces, but mainly trying to focus on the little smiles just like before.
Thanks for staying interested if you’re still reading!
End of an Era
Our new playground
Starting something new
This week has been a smileful week all round, it’s hard trying to pick one thing! I love lists, so here’s a list of things that have made me smile this week…
- Bake Off is back in a fashion, and that is just great
- I found a recipe for Banana Blueberry muffins that taste amazing (I’m always throwing out bananas, I like them basically green so as soon as they start getting brown spots I have to find something else to do with them!)
- I had a day out in London this week with my favourite friends which involved pretending to be highly sophisticated ladies who lunch – we have to pretend because we’re all actually nuts – and a trip to Ben’s Cookies, possibly my favourite cookie-based establishment of all time, and much general hysteria
- I made a good call at work on Friday, and that always feels good!
- I passed an exam that is another hurdle towards finishing my degree
- I re-wrote my recipe book with colourful pens so now it looks awesome
- Last night we had dinner with friends and just sofa-crashed and chatted all evening which was just wonderful
So lots of smiley things this week, and they are all so smiley that it would be hard to choose just one!
Banana Blueberry Muffins…
It’s that time of week again! I don’t really know where this week disappeared off to… it seems to have rushed off in a blur of planning and booking things (see this post for all the
scary exciting things!), waiting for emails and working.
My smile this week is the simple bliss of a quiet evening in. House is tidy, Netflix is on, I’m curled up on the sofa in my slippers and my super-cosy scarf (it’s cold and snowy here) with this mug full of tea:
This is one of many owl-related bits and bobs in my house, and it’s one of my favourites. It was this particular little scruffy owl that provided the inspiration for this blog – something I’m really enjoying this year. It’s just one of those things that I have an inexplicable fondness of. I just have to not drop it like I did the cereal bowl this morning…!
My very first smile of the week is a very simple one. I spent the first few days of this year with some of the greatest friends I could wish for. We’ve all gone through a lot together over the last year, and it was fantastic to be able to toast in a new year full of happier times with them all. This special occasion required a method of large-scale tea provision:
My beautiful new teapot makes me smile because tea with friends is the best kind of tea. Also I can make enough tea for 4 cups when I’m on my own – necessary in every way. And it’s red, so it matches everything in my kitchen. It’s the small things!!